The Salmon berries are abundant here in Southeast Alaska. The kids and I have been enjoying foraging. We have collected lots of salmon berries. Bela loves to eat them right off the vine. We've also been sampling Blueberries and Thimble berries. I made some freezer jam and salmon berry pie the other day it was fun. I have especially enjoyed the sea asparagus. At first I didn't like it I thought it was too salty. Then I tried it in some pasta salad, eggs skillets, with red potatoes and today I put it in some potato salad. Needless to say I am quite found off it and wish there was way to preserve it with out losing the crispness. I may try to can it??? I also need to can the salmon that Alex is going to smoke. We leave here in 10 days. I have mixed emotions. I'll be sad to leave my new friends and this beautiful place but I'm excited to see my family and friends. I'm also anxious to get home and get things organized and unpacked.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
Salmon Berries
The Salmon berries are abundant here in Southeast Alaska. The kids and I have been enjoying foraging. We have collected lots of salmon berries. Bela loves to eat them right off the vine. We've also been sampling Blueberries and Thimble berries. I made some freezer jam and salmon berry pie the other day it was fun. I have especially enjoyed the sea asparagus. At first I didn't like it I thought it was too salty. Then I tried it in some pasta salad, eggs skillets, with red potatoes and today I put it in some potato salad. Needless to say I am quite found off it and wish there was way to preserve it with out losing the crispness. I may try to can it??? I also need to can the salmon that Alex is going to smoke. We leave here in 10 days. I have mixed emotions. I'll be sad to leave my new friends and this beautiful place but I'm excited to see my family and friends. I'm also anxious to get home and get things organized and unpacked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I would be sad to leave too, but we are happy you are coming back!
Post a Comment